There seems to be a lot of celebratory posts on this blog lately. I’m sorry, but bear with me, this is probably the second last one. This is one for my mum. It’s my mum’s birthday!
Every time one of my family members or close friends celebrate their birthday, I will make a birthday cake. I really enjoy the process of making and decorating a cake. The longer the process takes the better, because I find it all rather therapeutical.
My mum loves a good chocolate mousse, but I don’t as much. I love a good cheesecake instead. So combining both, I made a chilled chocolate cheesecake. This cheesecake is very easy to make and yields a lovely rich and velvety smooth result. Just make sure you use a good quality chocolate and I promise you that you will soon be in chocolate heaven. It tastes even better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to break up the richness.
I first came across this recipe while watching everyday gourmet. You can use dark, milk or white chocolate, whatever you prefer.
Dark Chocolate Cheesecake
(original recipe: http://www.cadburykitchen.com.au/recipes/view/milk-chocolate-cheesecake-with-fresh-berries/3/)
yields one 20cm cake
1¼ cup chocolate biscuit crumbs
80g butter, melted
500g block Cream Cheese, softened
¼ cup caster sugar
2 teaspoons gelatine dissolved in ¼ cup boiling water
200g milk/dark/white baking chocolate melted
1 cup cream, softly whipped
Fresh mixed berries, for decoration (or you can use some chocolate art instead)
- Combine the biscuit crumbs and butter, then press into the base of a greased 20cm springform pan. Chill until firm. If you are worried that the cheesecake isn’t going to come out smoothly then you can line your tin with lots of cling film. Make sure to leave plenty hanging over the edge so it’s easy to lift out.
- Whip cream until soft peaks form, set aside.
- Melt chocolate using double boiler method and set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat the cream cheese and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the gelatine and chocolate and mix until smooth, then fold through the whipped cream.
- Pour the mixture over the prepared base. Chill for 2 hours or over night. Decorate with fresh berries and chocolate curls prior to slicing.
Happy birthday mum! Always love you.